I'm not quite sure what my rights are........and not quite sure which rights I would like .....BUT I am sure of my responsibilities.
First of all I am responsible for myself....for my actions, my words, my behaviour etc. I also take responsibility for those who rely on me. Top of the list is my children. I am not only responsible for them but I *feel* responsible for them and I don't want somebody to come along and take that responsibility away.
When it comes to the health and welfare of my children, I have to trust in my own judgement but I need to know when I need "expert" advice....I also need to know when the advice I am being given is a choice and that sometimes that advice is not what is best. I need to *feel* that the choices I make about my children is the best. The best for them, under those particular circumstances. For instance, if my child is ill and a doctor suggests a treatment or an investigation of some sort...I need to understand and be aware of all the facts in order to make an informed choice. If the information is too "over my head", I need them to make it easier for me to understand and I need them to understand why I need to understand! I do understand that there may be a grey area here.....and that there may be the need for compromise on either or both sides......and I do understand that if the doctor thinks he is right and I am putting my child in danger, then they are going to want to be able to do the "right" thing and have the right to do so. So it's not straightforward is it? I might not fully understand the situation or my reasoning may be "unreasonable". BUT in most cases it's not going to get to that.........child needs blood test....why?.....to diagnose an illess......no other way?...... no or at least not as reliable......my child has fear of needles so I want to avoid if necessary........we will work with child on this and explain and help child to feel less anxious....OK, thanks. [Or maybe...no thanks] Anyway, back to what I was saying..........................I need to *feel* that it's in my child's best interest to have the treatment/investigation or not. I think most people would agree.
Right so now let's look at education.....................as it stands in the UK atm.........if I *feel* that Elective Home Education is right for my child I can remove them from school, deregister them and home educate them or if they have never been registered at a school, I don't have to ask anyone, I can just do it. The reason being that the responsibility for my child's education is mine, not the state's. Now the state do stipulate that education is compulsory and currently, if they feel that the education provided for the child is unsuitable in some way, they can actually order the child be educated at school. This doesn't happen often but in some cases when it is threatened, parents can make the necessary changes to fit in with legislation and keep their children HE. So, although you have the responsibility, they can override that if you fail to comply with the law. The problem has been that inspectors/visitors from the LA who do not understand HE well enough presume that if parents are not doing "school at home" then the child is not receiving an education. If you sent your child to a private school, they would not be required to follow the national curriculum and neither are HE children but some LA staff feel that they need to compare the education of HE children by using the NC as a rule! It has long been the aim of HErs to try and educate LAs to educate their staff in the many forms of HE and not to need to compare with school children. However, since the infamous Badman Report, it has become obvious to the majority of HErs that the aim of the government is to take the responsibility of education out of the hads of the parents and put it in the hands of the state. This is not just moving more and more towards the "Nanny state" but it is a fundamental erosion of the responsibilities of individuals. This is a slippery slope and the more responsibilities we give up, the more will be taken. It's scary!!!
So back to responsibility......................in a nutshell..........if I have my responsibilties taken away from me by the state, then I and my children and everyone else become the property of the state. There goes democracy [if that is even a reality now] and liberty and freedom and everything that is natural to a human being. Puppets of the state......educated to be what the state needs us to be in order to make the state powerful.....in our best interests? I hardly think that the interests/welfare/rights of an individual will be a consideration and that the "Greater Good" chestnut will be rolled out and used to make us feel selfish if we feel we should be seen as individuals.
So, you think I am paranoid? Hmmmmmmmm..............well look at the warning signs..............this is how it begins and has already begun...little by little...........do you feel you really have freedom in this country...in this modern world? Do you feel like the "little man" who thinks "what can I do?.......it's too hard......I can't fight the system!" then you admit, it has already affected you. Do you roll your eyes at the system, do you rage about the way the country is run, do you sign petitions and join campaigns and hope you make a difference? The you are not ready to roll over and accept it are you?
Well.............I am a rambly old nana aren't I?
I care about me, my family, my friends...............and what the future holds in store for us all!
I have not re-read this or checked for any mistakes.....I just wanted to write it as it poured out.

No comments:
Post a Comment